Skip To Main Content

Logo Title

Teacher Certification Information

Maintaining Your Certification

Effective  July 1, 2016, all holders of teaching certificates, teaching assistance certificates, and educational leadership certificates which are valid for life (Permanent, Professional and Teaching Assistant Level III) will be required to register with the Department every five years.

Change of Name/Address
A Certificate holder must update their address or submit a name change within 30 days of such change. 

To begin log into your NYS TEACH account 

Click the “Request Name Change” button
You must submit a copy of your driver’s license, documentation that supports your request (i.e. a copy of your marriage license or divorce decree etc.) and an explanation of the request.

  1. Choose "TEACH Online" under services
  2. Click "Update/Add Education, Employment, and Personal Information"
  3. click “Edit Personal Info”
  • E-mail documents to:
  • Fax documents to: (518) 473-0271
  • Mail the documents to:
    Office of Teaching Initiatives
    89 Washington Ave, EB RM 5N,
    Albany, NY 12234

Applying for a Professional Certification

Holders of an Initial Certificate should apply for their Professional Certificate six months prior to the Initial Certificate expiration  date. To begin the application process log into your NYS TEACH account.

Complete and submit the Mentoring Form and Verification of Experience Form to the Human Resource Office for verification.

Checking Your Application Status

NOTE: If you sent records more than three years ago, you will need to resubmit the paperwork.

For more information regarding the Certification Process

For information regarding Certification Requirements

  1. Go to NYS TEACH and type in your Username and Password
  2. Select on TEACH Online Services
  3. Select Account Information link and click the topic for Correspondence
  4. Select the "Go" button to view a list of all documents the state has received