There are several ways to help your child improve his or her oral reading fluency.
* Modeling: When you read aloud to your child, you are modeling what good oral reading sounds like.
* Repeated Readings: It can be enjoyable for your child to reread a book. Reading the same story more than once can improve fluency and confidence.
* Paired Reading: When you read with your child you can take turns reading pages. Since we are working on fluency, if your child gets stuck on a challenging word, tell him or her what the word is so the sentence will flow.
* Echo Reading: When you and your child echo read, you read a phrase or sentence aloud and then your child repeats what you read, "echoing" your fluent reading. This style of reading is fun to do with poetry.
* Choral Reading: When you and your child choral read, you both read the same thing at the same time in the same way.
Praise every effort your child makes.