Ms. Banke’s 8th Grade American History Class
Welcome to seventh grade Social Studies! As your teacher, I am looking forward to an exciting and challenging year with all of you. To ensure that each student achieves his or her potential, I believe that cooperation and teamwork between the teacher, student, and parent/caregiver is essential.
Topics we will cover this year
Unit 1: Reconstruction
Unit 2: A changing society and Progressive Era
Unit 3: The United States as An Expansionist Nation
Unit 4: WWI and the United States Between Wars
Unit 5: United States Assumes Worldwide Responsibilities
Unit 6: WWII to the Present
- When you enter the classroom immediately take your seat and complete the Do Now. This is will be projected on the Smartboard and will have a question to answer or a task to complete.
- Copy down your homework into your planner.
- Wait for instructions for the lesson to begin.
In order for us to have a productive learning environment, where we can use different learning methods, the classroom community must be established.
- Be respectful of the teacher and your classmates.
- Be prepared- bring all materials and homework to class and be ready to participate and learn.
- Be on time.
- Be honest.
- Verbal warning
- Teacher- student conference
- Seat change
- After school detention and phone call home
- Parent conference
- 1 folder
- Pencils & pencil sharpener
- One Dry Erase marker ( any color)
- Colored pencils or markers
(These supplies must be brought to Social Studies class EVERY DAY!)
Your marking period grades will be calculated as follows:
- Follow all classroom procedures (refer to front side of the page).
- Complete the do now, daily tasks, and assigned activities.
- Work cooperatively and actively when engaged in group work.
- All assignments must be done and complete in order to receive full credit.
- Half credit will be received for late assignments. You have one day MAXIMUM to hand in a late assignment.
- If you are absent you have one day following the day you return to school to complete the assignment.
Class Participation: 10 %
- Be on time and prepared with all required materials.
- Actively participate in class activities and discussions.
- Ask questions.
Quizzes- 15 %
- Quizzes will be given throughout a unit.
- They are typically 10- 20 questions long.
- There will be a chance for open notebook quizzes (remember stay organized. J )
- At the end of each unit you will be given a unit test (longer then a quiz.)
- Essays will be included on unit tests.
- You may be given 2 or 3 projects per marking period.
- Grading criteria for each project will be given with each individual assignment.
Please sign and date this letter and keep it in your binder for the remainder of the year.
Student signature and date Parent/Guardian signature and date
Student (print name) Parent/Guardian (print name)