Maintaining Your Certification
Effective July 1, 2016, all holders of teaching certificates, teaching assistance certificates, and educational leadership certificates which are valid for life (Permanent, Professional and Teaching Assistant Level III) will be required to register with the Department every five years.
- Choose "TEACH Online" under services
- Click "Update/Add Education, Employment, and Personal Information"
- click “Edit Personal Info”
Click the “Request Name Change” button
You must submit a copy of your driver’s license, documentation that supports your request (i.e. a copy of your marriage license or divorce decree etc.) and an explanation of the request.
- E-mail documents to: email@example.com
- Fax documents to: (518) 473-0271
- Mail the documents to:
Office of Teaching Initiatives
89 Washington Ave, EB RM 5N,
Albany, NY 12234
Applying for a Professional Certification
Holders of an Initial Certificate should apply for their Professional Certificate six months prior to the Initial Certificate expiration date. To begin the application process log into your NYS TEACH account.
Checking Your Application Status
- Go to NYS TEACH and type in your Username and Password
- Select on TEACH Online Services
- Select Account Information link and click the topic for Correspondence
- Select the "Go" button to view a list of all documents the state has received
NOTE: If you sent records more than three years ago, you will need to resubmit the paperwork.
For more information regarding the Certification Process
For information regarding Certification Requirements