• Maintaining Your Certification

    Effective  July 1, 2016, all holders of teaching certificates, teaching assistance certificates, and educational leadership certificates which are valid for life (Permanent, Professional and Teaching Assistant Level III) will be required to register with the Department every five years.

  • Change of Name/Address
    A Certificate holder must update their address or submit a name change within 30 days of such change. 

    To begin log into your NYS TEACH account 

    1. Choose "TEACH Online" under services
    2. Click "Update/Add Education, Employment, and Personal Information"
    3. click “Edit Personal Info”

    Click the “Request Name Change” button
    You must submit a copy of your driver’s license, documentation that supports your request (i.e. a copy of your marriage license or divorce decree etc.) and an explanation of the request.

    • E-mail documents to: tcert@nysed.gov
    • Fax documents to: (518) 473-0271
    • Mail the documents to:
      Office of Teaching Initiatives
      89 Washington Ave, EB RM 5N,
      Albany, NY 12234

  • Applying for a Professional Certification

    Holders of an Initial Certificate should apply for their Professional Certificate six months prior to the Initial Certificate expiration  date. To begin the application process log into your NYS TEACH account.

    Complete and submit the Mentoring Form and Verification of Experience Form to the Human Resource Office for verification.